2018 Chemists Celebrate Earth Week Illustrated Poem Contest for K-12 students
CCEW celebrates its 15th anniversary in 2018 with the theme "Dive into Marine Chemistry."
The Southern Arizona Local Section of the American Chemical Society (ACS) is sponsoring an illustrated poem contest for students in Kindergarten through 12th grade.
- Contest Deadline: May 3, 2018
- Prizes: $25.00 gift certificate for 1st place in each grade category (K-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12)
- Mail to: SAZACS, PO Box 43096, Tucson, AZ 85733
Winners of the SAZACS Local Section’s Illustrated Poem Contest will advance to the National Illustrated Poem Contest for a chance to be featured on the ACS website and to win prizes!
Download printable flyer and entry form
If you would like to receive additional information about educational resources related to the 2018 CCEW or if you have questions about the contest please contact SAZACS Community Outreach coordinator, Grazyna Zreda at email@example.com
Write and illustrate a poem using the CCEW theme, “Dive into Marine Chemistry.” Your poem must be no more than 40 words and in the following styles to be considered:
HAIKU - LIMERICK - ODE - ABC POEM - FREE VERSE - END RHYME - BLANK VERSE
Possible topics related to marine chemistry include:
- Thermal Vents
- Oil Spill
Entries will be judged based upon:
- Artistic Merit - use of color, quality of drawing, design & layou
- Poem Message - fun, motivational, inspiring about yearly theme
- Originality & Creativity - unique, clever and/or creative design
- Neatness - free of spelling and grammatical errors
- Poems must conform to a particular style. No poem may be longer than 40 words.
- The topic of the poem and the illustration must be related to the yearly CCEW theme.
- All entries must be original works without aid from others.
- Each poem must be submitted and illustrated on an unlined sheet of paper (of any type) not larger than 11” x 14”. The illustration must be created by hand using crayons, watercolors, other types of paint, colored pencils, or markers. The text of the poem should be easy to read and may be printed with a computer before the hand-drawn illustration is added, or the poem may be written on lined paper which is cut out and pasted onto the unlined paper with the illustration.
- Only one enter per student will be accepted.
- All entries must include an entry form.
- All illustrated poems and/or digital representations of the poems become the property of the American Chemical Society.
- Acceptance of prizes constitutes consent to use winners’ names, likenesses, and entries for editorial, advertising, and publicity purposes.